CAGAYAN de Oro City will be hosting this year’s World and National Teachers’ Day on October 5, the Department of Education (DepEd) announced during the celebration’s kick off on Monday morning, September 9, at the Initao National Comprehensive High School, Initao, Misamis Oriental.
According to DepEd-Northern Mindanao Director Arturo Bayocot, the celebration, which be held at the Atrium of Limketkai Center, Cagayan de Oro, will be participated by 4,500 teachers from different regions.
Anchored on the theme: “Gurong Pilipino: Handa sa Makabagong Pagbabago,” the celebration is aimed to honor those who are in the teaching profession and to acknowledge and emphasized the crucial role, loyal service, and dedicated commitment of teachers in developing globally minded citizens, nurturing families, strengthening communities, and building the nation.
The occasion is also to revitalize the image of and respect for teaching as a vocation by increasing awareness of the value of teachers in the Philippines; to build the image of teaching as an attractive and fulfilling profession; and to generate widespread support and assistance for teachers.
“The NTM (National Teachers’ Month) is a great avenue to honor those who are in the teaching profession and to express gratitude for the positive influence of teachers on Filipino learners,” DepEd Secretary Leonor Magtolis Briones said.
During the kick off program, Bayocot, Education Undersecretary Tonisito Umali, Schools Division Superintendent Randolph Tortola of the Division of Misamis Oriental, and Bernardito Gonzalez, Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPOST) area director-Cagayan de Oro lead the unveiling of the NTM stamp and the launching of the Salamat Po! Letter Writing Advocacy Program Year 7.
DepEd partners also offer gifts as token of gratitude to teachers during the month-long celebration, which includes:
- “Salamat Po Teacher” letter writing raffle promo, open to the public (Kindergarten to Grade 12), which will run from September to October.
- Discounted rate of P100 for teachers in BenCab Museum (September 5 to October 5)
- Teacher’s Treat promo by Enchanted Kingdom: P700 Park and AGILA ticket, free EK souvenir, and free skill game coupons (September 5 to October 6)
- Complete eyeglass package from Executive Optical: frame (barcode price) + lens 20 percent off. Open to all teachers, just present valid ID/license
- Free regular fries with any value meal purchase in Jollibee stores. For teachers only, just present school ID/license (October 4 to 6)
- Microsoft: Free webinar for teachers, open to the public (all Saturdays of October)
- Free entrance to teachers plus two companions in Museo Pambata, free gift for teachers (limited slots), five percent discount at gift shop (minimum purchase required) on September 5 to October 5.
- Free entrance to all teachers to Manila International Book Fair. Just present valid ID/license (September 11 to 15)
The World Teachers’ Day, also known as International Teachers’ Day, is held annually on October 5. Established in 1994, it commemorates the signing of the 1966 UNESCO/ILO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers, which is a standard setting instrument that addresses the status and situation of teachers around the world.