DENGUE cases in Northern Mindanao are starting to go down but health officials here remain vigilant and advised the public not to be complacent.
The Department of Health (DOH) in Northern Mindanao monitored 21,457 dengue cases from January 1 to September 14.
This is still 64 percent higher compared to the same period last year, but since August, the number of cases has declined.
Dr. Dave Mendoza, DOH-Northern Mindanao assistant director, said from the 32nd week until the 36th week of this year, the cases dropped of up to 50 percent.
“We want to have zero cases for 4 consecutive cases, that’s when we say we have zero cases, but in this case, zero cases recorded is still intermittent. So we are still not confident,” Mendoza said.
Still, Bukidnon reported the highest number of cases at 8,077, followed by Misamis Oriental with 3,579 cases, Lanao del Norte with 3,002 cases, Misamis Occidental with 2,224 cases and Camiguin with only 371 cases.
Cagayan de Oro has 2,664 dengue cases while Iligan City recorded 1,540 dengue cases.
“We are starting to go down based on our general trend. Maybe next week, it will continue to go down hopefully,” he said.
Mendoza urged the public to continue the 4S strategy: Search and destroy” mosquito-breeding sites, employ “Self-protection measures” (i.e. wearing long pants and long sleeved shirts, and daily use of mosquito repellent), “Seek early consultation”, and “Support fogging/spraying”, with an additional strategy as “sustained hydration”.
Hydration is one of the initial interventions for an individual infected with dengue.