A TOTAL of 28 heinous crime convicts have surrendered to Police Regional Office (PRO) in Northern Mindanao a day before the September 19 deadline given by President Rodrigo Duterte.
PRO-Northern Mindanao spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mardy Hortillosa said the 28 convicts, who were freed under the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law, have turned themselves in to the different police stations across the region.
Of the 28, 12 convicts surrendered in Bukidnon, five in Lanao del Norte, four in Cagayan de Oro, three in Misamis Oriental, two in Iligan City, and one convict each in Camiguin and Misamis Occidental, as of Wednesday, September 18.
Hortillosa said the convicts were willing to go back to their respective penal colony where they were previously detained.
During his visit in Cagayan de Oro City for the 118th Police Service Anniversary, Philippine National Police (PNP) Deputy Director General for Operations, Police Lieutenant General Archie Francisco Gamboa, said the police are aware of the questions raised by some legislators on the GCTA, but added that the PNP "always takes cue from the Department of Justice."
"Of course, si Congressman Rufus has his role as legislator. But of course, kung unsay interpretation sa executive, which is the DOJ, the PNP will just follow. The PNP is under the jurisdiction of the executive," he said.
"Now should there be questions on that. It's up to the courts to interpret. That's how we balance government," Gamboa told reporters.
Gamboa reminded the legislators that the PNP's role is to implement the law they make, and should questions rise, "they should go to the judiciary."
He said without the interpretation from the courts, the PNP's implementation will always be "presumed regular and right unless questioned and reversed by the court."
"As of yet, we follow the DOJ guidelines," he added.