THE Cebu City Legal Office is gathering documents in building a case against an uptown KTV bar where 11 minors were rescued last month.
In a letter to the Women and Child Protection Desk of the Cebu City Police Office, City Attorney Rey Gealon asked for copies of pertinent documents on the anti-trafficking operation conducted on the bar.
“In relation thereto formal request is hereby made for information and copies of the pertinent documents on the Anti-Traficking Operation conducted by your office last Aug. 17, 2019 of a KTV Bar along General Maxilom Avenue, Cebu City. Moreover, if you have any other relevant information on this subject matter, we will appreciate if you can also provide us,” a part of the letter reads.
On Aug. 17, 2019, 11 minors were rescued by authorities during a raid conducted by the CCPO.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development and the anti-human trafficking organization Destiny Rescue raided the bar after validating reports that transactions for women exploitation were made in the entertainment hub.
Gealon said his office has to gather as much evidence as possible, adding that their investigation will not be limited to the revocation of business permits and establishment closure.
“We have to be circumspect and judicious as this involves the rights and interests of our children whom the Mayor has vowed to uphold and protect, being both a conscientious lawyer and a responsible father himself,” said Gealon.
Earlier, Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella planned to issue a cease-and-desist order against the KTV bar, adding that it is part of the duty of the local government unit to monitor all the establishments within its area of jurisdiction. (JJL)