CEBU

2 online campaigns call for end to roadside tree cutting in Southern Cebu

SunStar File

TWO online petitions are calling upon President Rodrigo Duterte and national agencies to stop the cutting of century-old trees in the cities of Naga and Carcar in Southern Cebu.

In their petition posted on Change. org, a group identified as "Tingog Kinaiyahan" is asking President Duterte and concerned agencies to stop the cutting of 151 roadside trees along the City of Naga that is being initiated by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

In a SunStar Cebu on October 7, 2019, the DPWH Central Visayas announced they will be cutting those trees to make way for the ongoing Metro Cebu Expressway project, a 73-kilometer highway that would connect the City of Naga in the south to Danao City in the north.

Tingog Kinaiyahan, in their petition, said despite claims that the trees growing along the City of Naga have become a hazard due to their condition, there are no scientific reports presented that those trees are sick or rotten.

"The trees South of Cebu are part of our Culture and Heritage as a Cebuano aside from the Environmental Protection they give the inhabitants of the island. Naga and Carcar will not be the same without those trees nor will the future of our children," the petition stated.

As of 5:08 p.m. on Thursday, October 10, the petition has garnered 201 signatures.

Tingog Kinaiyahan is targeting to get 500 signatures.

While another netizen, Milk Joy Pactores, is also launching an online petition asking the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Central Visayas to save the roadside trees growing in Carcar City.

In her petition, Pactores said that 32 trees growing in Carcar City are set to be cut to make way for a road widening project.

"Reportedly, six of these beautiful trees have already been cut. More of these trees are about to lose their lives starting October 15," Pactores added.

The petition, which came out of Petitiontime.com, is targeting 10,000 signatures. As of 5:12 p.m. on Thursday, it was able to gather 2,997 supporters.

Earlier this month, environmental lawyer Benjamin Cabrido Jr. filed a petition for temporary environmental protection order before the Court of Appeals (CA) to have the cutting of trees to make way for road projects stopped.

The CA has yet to make a decision on granting Cabrido a TEPO. (JKV)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph