CEBU

46 families build shanties at Mandaue's old market

AFTER their shanties were demolished, informal settlers have started to build their makeshift houses at the old public market just behind the Mandaue City Cultural and Sports Complex.

This irked Cesar Ylanan, head of the demolition team of the Housing and Urban Development Office (Hudo).

“We are like playing tag. After we demolished their shanties in one area, they transferred to another area,” he said in Cebuano.

The Hudo had sent a notice to the informal settlers, demanding that they leave the area on or before Oct. 21, 2019. Some of the settlers are from Tabogon, Naga City, Moalboal and Consolacion.

Centro Barangay Captain Ian Cortes reported to the Hudo about the informal settlers occupying the old public market. The Hudo inspectors went to the area and confirmed Cortes’s report.

Ylanan said there are about 46 families occupying the old public market. Their shanties along Gaisano and Zuelig streets were recently demolished to comply with President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to clear public roads of any obstruction.

The informal settlers were able to build their shanties after the vendors migrated to the new public market. They possibly built their shanties at night to avoid detection, said Ylanan.

Ylanan said the informal settlers had already received their financial assistance from the City, and there is no reason for them not to go back to their hometowns. (KFD)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph