THE Central Visayas Pork Producers Cooperative is urging anew fastfood chain operators to tap local meat processors to meet the market demand for meal items with meat.
Rolando Tambago, cooperative president, said local meat processors have the capacity to supply these fastfood chains with their needed pork ingredients.
“We understand that it’s a difficult transition because they have specifications, especially on raw cut meat...but they can partner with local processors,” said Tambago.
“It’s a natural situation that they would run out (of pork suppply) because they have to talk to suppliers on the specifications and testing of meat,” he added.
But Tambago said both parties can collaborate to minimize the impact of the African swine fever (ASF) scare in businesses and lessen the disruption it may cause to the supply chain.
In earlier interviews, famous Chinese fastfoods and pizza joints in Cebu City reported a cut in pork supply since the last week of September.
Customers were given an explanation on the 100-day total ban that was put in place by the Cebu Provincial Government to prevent the entry of ASF to the province.
As for Christmas hams, Tambago said malls in the city also reached out to them and they assured their clients that there would be hams for the incoming months.
“The hams from local brands will be put up on the shelves before November. They are slowly replenishing their stocks,” he said.
In their monitoring, Tambago said 56 out of 81 provinces in the country have already implemented total and conditional bans on Luzon-based pork.
In Cebu, Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia issued Executive Order 16 that implemented a 100-day total ban on the entry of live hogs, pork, pork-related products, byproducts and boar semen from Luzon because of ASF.
The 100-day ban will end on Dec. 28, 2019.
Reports on ASF updates said two barangays in Dasmariñas City, Cavite and one barangay in Palayan City, Nueva Ecija are the latest to report cases of ASF. (JOB)