Mayor cautions residents against fire incidents

MAYOR Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar has appealed to all residents of Zamboanga City to exercise personal responsibility and close supervision in using appliances at home to prevent fire incident.

Salazar made the appeal following the fire that broke out Sunday night in Campo Islam Village, the eighth incident to occur in a span of one week.

“I would like to make an appeal to all residents of Zamboanga in the light of the spate of fire incidents that parents, grandparents and children must actively participate in ensuring that we comply with the safety measures such as supervision over all plugged electrical appliances,” Salazar said.

“Secondly, do not allow hazardous materials that can cause fire from being unsupervised whether by adults or children,” she added.

The mayor noted that per investigation by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) faulty wiring and personal negligence were main causes of fires.

She thanked and even congratulated the BFP personnel for their swift response to the fire in Campo Islam, having arrived at the fire scene in five minutes after the call, as reported by the village chief Faizal Jamalul. (SunStar Zamboanga)


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!