BACOLOD

‘Come home now,’ parents appeal

SOME parents of the arrested individuals, including a minor, during the recent search operations by state law enforcers have appealed to their children to come home.

Most of these parents, who were present during the press conference of the Philippine Army officials in Negros at a restaurant in Bacolod City Thursday, November 7, claimed that they have not seen yet their children since they were released by authorities days ago.

Ma. Linda Olaera, 64, of La Carlota City, emotionally told reporters that her 19-year-old son was already released Wednesday, November 6, 2019, but he has not come home yet.

Olaera said her family has no idea about her son’s engagement with the alleged cultural group, which was among those arrested during the raid in various offices of progressive groups in Bacolod City last October 31.

“Pauli ka na kay si papa mo galalain na [please come home, your father is so worried],” she said in tears, adding that “kun sin-o man nagtago sa bata ko, iuli niyo sa amon [whoever among you is keeping my child, please return him to us].”

Maxima Pinile, 38, of Escalante City, said her 14-year-old daughter was already turned over to them by the Department Social Services and Development on Monday, November 4.

However, the minor asked for permission to go to a doctor. She was not able to return home since then, the mother added.

Another parent from La Carlota City appealed to those in custody of his 18-year-old son.

Jomar Tano, 42, said he was told that his son will be sent home by a group who fetched him from the police headquarter. “Until now, he has not come home.”

Philippine Army 3rd Infantry Division spokesperson Army Captain Cenon Pancito III said they did not influence the parents as opposed to the claim of Gabriela Party-list Representative Arlene Brosas.

Pancito said most of these parents have testified, in fact, part of the human trafficking case filed against some local group leaders.

The three parents said they are willing to cooperate with the authorities for the immediate retrieval of their children.

Meanwhile, another parent appeared in the separate press conference of the progressive group leaders claiming that their children in Escalante City were threatened to be detained by the military.

Junelle Miraflor, 37, who was one of those arrested and released, said they were harassed by the government forces.

Authorities, though, have denied such allegation.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph