SOME eight houses behind the Piapi, Boulevard wet market were razed by fire caused by an electric faulty wiring on Friday.

During a scheduled brownout around 4:45 p.m., neighbors of retired policeman Diolito Carquezas began to smell smoke coming from the said house.

"The Manny Pacquiao Blog". Click here for stories and updates on the Filipino boxing champ.

Two houses, including Carquevas', were destroyed while six others were damaged.

The other seven houses damaged by the fire belonged to Adorno Saturnino, Leonor Blanco, Francisco Lasala, Dodong Kinamut, Dayala Pili, Valentin Albino, and Presencio Dicos, said SPO 2 Cesar Robles, duty investigator of the Sta. Ana Police Station.

Robles said a short circuit occurs when there is an unintended contact of components and consequent accidental diversion of the current. This results in an excessive electric current (over-current) and potentially causes circuit damage, overheating, fire or explosion.

"Ginapahinumdom namo usab nga maayong i-off ang mga kabtangan kung naay brownout kay pag-mubalik ang kuryente, basig magka-short curcuit (We are reminding the people that they should turn off their appliances and pull off the plugs when there is a brownout because when the power comes back, there might be a short circuit)," Robles said.

Authorities responded to the incident, immediately blocking both lanes’ two blocks from either side of the area. The Davao Volunteer Fire Brigade rescue team and Filipino Chinese Firefighters were able to stop the fire by 6:30 p.m.

The total damage due to the fire has not yet been reported as of this posting Saturday.

Investigators said there were no casualties or injury reported in the incident.

A certain Nene, 52, sustained injuries in her feet and minor wounds on her face while she was rushing for safety.

Nene, who lives in front of Carquevas's house, recalled hearing her windows break due to the heat.

"Ang mga samin nabuak unya naigo ko sa mga bildo. Gamay lang akong nasalbar nga gamit, usa ra ka bag wala pa koy tsinilas mao nang nasamad ko sa pagdagan (I only saved a few things, just one bag. I ran outside barefoot that's why I hurt my foot)," Nene said.

A fireman led Nene to the 911 medical team.

Two girls, who also lived near the burning houses, rushed to the streets.

Lysa, 12, could not help but cry for fear, while Jazz, 12, was seen standing beside her grandmother who was sitting on a wheelchair. (JCZ/With Alger Dura of Sun.Star Superbalita/Mark Peñalver)