THE National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Sunday, December 1, warned residents of Bicol and Eastern Visayas regions of possible flooding as Typhoon Tisoy (international name Kammuri) is expected to cause heavy rains.
In its advisory, the NDRRMC said among the areas that are at risk are:
· Labo and Basud Daet in Camarines Norte
· Cabuyan, Bato and Pajo in Catanduanes
· Lower Kilbay, Catabangan, Ragay, Tinalmud, Tambang and Lagonoy in Camarines Sur
· Lower Dansol, Ogod, Putiao, Cadacan, Banuang-Duan, Fabrica (Tugbugan) and Matnog in Sorsogon
· Lanang, Mapayawan, Mandaong, Asid, Malbag, Guiom, Nainday, Daraga, Nauco (Aguada) and Beleno in Masbate
· Guinale and Upper Donsol in Albay
· Catarman, Bugko, Pambukhan, Catubig, Palapag, Maou, Gamay in Northern Samar
· Basey, Silaga, Calbiga and Jibatan in Samar
· Oras, Dolores, Ulot, Taft, Borongan, Suribao, Llorento, Balangiga and Sulat in Eastern Samar
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said Tisoy was spotted at 705 kilometers (km) east of Virac in Catanduanes at 10 a.m. Sunday, December 1.
It was packing maximum sustained winds of up to 140 km per hour (kph), with gustiness of up to 170 kph. It was moving westward at 25 kph.
The weather bureau said the typhoon is forecast to make landfall over the Bicol region between Monday evening, December 2, and Tuesday morning, December 3.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal #2 has been raised over Catanduanes, Northern Samar and Eastern Samar. These areas may expect winds of 61 to 120 kph in 24 hours.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal #1 was raised over Quezon including Polillo Islands, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Albay, Sorsogon, Masbate including Burias and Ticao Island, Marinduque, and Romblon. These areas will experience 30 to 60 kph winds in 36 hours.
By Monday, the areas of Bicol Region, Samar provinces and Biliran. Romblon, Marinduque and Quezon may experience occasional to frequent heavy rains. Moderate to occasional heavy rains will prevail over Romblon, Marinduque and Quezon.
On Tuesday, the Pagasa said Metro Manila, Bicol Region, Calabarzon, Mindoro provinces, Marinduque, Romblon, Zambales, Bataan, Pampanga and Bulacan will have frequent to continuous heavy rains.
Moderate to occasional heavy rains may be expected over Aklan, Capiz, northern portion of Antique, and the rest of Luzon Tuesday.
The bureau added that the effects of Tisoy may also disrupt maritime travel, especially in small seacraft, in the said areas. (SunStar Philippines)