BACOLOD

‘Food poisoning’ downs 49 students in Bago

AT LEAST 49 Grade 1 students of Ma-ao Elementary School, and their parents were hospitalized when they suddenly fell ill on Thursday, December 12, in what authorities believe may have stemmed from food poisoning.

Based on information provided by the Bago City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office, the victims were attending a Christmas party and ate spaghetti which was prepared by a local catering service.

After eating the said food, the students and some of the parents reportedly started falling ill. The victims complained of stomach aches and nausea.

The victims were initially rushed to the Barangay Ma-ao Clinic, but the victims were later transferred to the Bago City District Hospital to receive further medical attention.

As of Friday, 20 students remain at the hospital and are presently being observed by doctors.

One of the victims, 57-year-old Tessie Cubos said she ate the spaghetti after her grandchild refused to eat.

Cubos claimed that she only ate three spoonfuls of the food, which she described to taste sour. At first, Cubos disregarded the taste, however, a few minutes later she started to experience stomach pains and vomiting.

The Bago City Health Office has since been tasked to investigate the catering service.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph