PAMPANGA

Firecracker-related injuries in Central Luzon up 49%

AMID the nationwide campaign against the use of firecrackers, the Department of Health (DOH) has recorded an increase of up to 49 percent on firecracker-related injuries in Central Luzon.

During Monday’s Iwas Paputok Updates press conference, DOH-Central Luzon director Cesar Cassion said a total of 303 cases of firecracker-related injuries were reported from December 21, 2019 to January 5 this year by 79 reporting units across the region.

The number is significantly higher from the total 203 cases reported in the same period last year, Cassion said.

Victims’ ages range from one to 83 years old, wherein 11 to 20 years old were reported to be the most affected group with 79 cases, followed by 10 years old and below with 71 cases.

The Province of Bulacan registered the most number of cases with 118 followed by Pampanga with 69, Tarlac with 50, Bataan with 33, Nueva Ecija with 17, Zambales with 15, and Aurora with one.

Kwitis, meanwhile, remained the top cause of firecracker-related injuries with 114 victims. Other top causes are illegal firecrackers such as 5-star, Piccolo, Goodbye Philippines, Pla-pla, and Boga.

Cassion urged the public to remain vigilant of their surroundings, and safely clean-up fireworks debris to avoid anymore untoward incidents.

“Refrain from picking and lighting undischarged fireworks as they may spark unsafe reaction, and dispose them properly instead,” he said.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph