FIVE former rebels from Calinog and Lambunao towns in Iloilo province received financial aid after returning to the fold of the law and surrendering their firearms.
Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. assisted 301st Brigade Commander Colonel Marion Sision and Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG-Iloilo) provincial director Teodora Sumagaysay in distributing the checks on January 16 at the Governor’s Office.
Each returnee received P15,000 immediate assistance and P60,000 livelihood assistance under the government’s Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP).
Each also received a maximum of P70,000 for their surrendered firearm. The firearms which include two.38 caliber, one.45 caliber, one shotgun, and an M1 garand rifle were also presented to Governor Defensor.
Colonel Marion R. Sison, 301st Infantry Brigade commander, said the returnees were formerly connected with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army (CPP-NPA) and among the ten total rebels who surrendered last year.
“We want to let them know that the government has programs in helping them start anew,” Colonel Sison said.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development is in-charge of monitoring the progress of their livelihood projects.
A remaining 184 rebels in Iloilo Province are being monitored by the army, according to Colonel Sison. (PR)