THREE fighters of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), demoralized and left leaderless, have surrendered to government troops in North Cotabato, military officials said Friday, February 14.
Major General Diosdado Carreon, Joint Task Force Central commander identified the BIFF surrenderers as Terek Nao, Tato Bantas, and Tatowan Gandawali, who surrendered Tuesday, February 11, to the troops of the Army’s 7th Infantry Battalion in Ladtingan Village, Pikit, North Cotabato.
Carreon said they formerly belong to the group of Gani Saligan, the BIFF leader who surrendered last year to the government.
He said the three turned over one homemade caliber .50 rifle, one homemade M-79 grenade launcher with one round 40-mm high explosive ammunition, one homemade 9-mm sub-machinegun, and two improvised explosive devices.
Their surrender is a result of the sustained conduct of combat, intelligence, and civil-military operations against terrorists in the area of North Cotabato.
He said the surrender of the three was facilitated by the Army’s 7th Infantry Battalion in coordination with the village chairperson of Barongis, Pikit.
Lieutenant General Cirilito Sobejana, Western Mindanao Command chief, assured that the command is always ready to assist all rebels, who decided to return to the mainstream of society.
“They can start a new life as law-abiding citizens of this country and live a normal life with their families,” Sobejana said. (SunStar Zamboanga)