DESPITE the National Government already allaying fears over the threat of possible spread of novel coronavirus disease (Covid-19), the cancellation of Sagay City’s Sinigayan Fetsival so far stays.
Mayor Alfredo Marañon III, through the City Tourism Office, said the cancellation of the festivity, which is now on its 24th edition, still holds.
It can be recalled that on February 12, Marañon issued Executive Order No. 005 canceling the 24th Sinigayan Festival celebration supposedly scheduled in June this year.
The order cited the health advisory dated February 7 which stated that:
“With the ongoing threat of the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus, the Department of Health (DOH) strongly urges the public to avoid attending, participating and organizing events that draw a huge number of attendees. The DOH likewise recommends the cancellation of such planned big events or mass gatherings until further noticed.”
The mayor, in the order, said “we may miss the glitters and gaiety of the yearly Sinigayan celebration, however, it is necessary to minimize, if not eliminate, the risk of contracting” the coronavirus disease.
“Your city then upon consultation with the vice mayor and other stakeholders decided with much regret to cancel the celebration of the 24th Sinigayan Festival,” he added.
Unlike Sagay, the City Government of Bago decided to push through the celebration of its 54th Charter Anniversary sometime in March this year after being cancelled last February 11 to 19.
This, after the DOH, Department of Tourism (DOT) and Department of the Interior and Local Government Unit (DILG) on Tuesday issued a joint statement assuring everyone “that it is safe to organize and attend public gatherings, meetings and festivals as long as all precautionary measures identified by the DOH are observed.”
Mayor Nicholas Yulo earlier said they waited for the “advisory” from the three agencies before finally deciding on whether, or not, push through the celebration. Though, only some of the activities will be pursued as the week-long celebration was cut in to several days.
“We have yet to have the formal announcement of the new schedules with corresponding events,” the city’s top official added.
The cancellation was by virtue of City Council Resolution No. 20-082 that also cited the first advisory issued by the health department.
Amid the rescheduling of the charter anniversary event, Yulo said the city government will follow the DOH’s suggested measures.
These include setting up of sanitation stations, distribution of free masks, and use of thermal scanner in some events, among others.
February 19, 2020
- A A +
SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.
Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!