THE burning of household trash, electrical loose connection or overloading, smoking and open flame cooking topped the list of causes of fire incidents recorded in Cebu last year.
The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 7 recorded 1,310 fire incidents in 2019 in Cebu Province, more than double the 550 cases in 2018. Damage to property last year was placed at P81 million.
Most of the big fire incidents were reported in the cities of Mandaue, Talisay and Toledo and the town of San Fernando.
According to BFP 7 information officer and Cebu Province Fire Marshal Supt. Fritzie Manatad, the tangled and dangling wires known as “spaghetti wires” along the streets are among the main causes of delay in putting out fires. It takes time for the power company to find its wires and cut supply to the area so firefighters and residents would not get electrocuted while putting out the flames.
Other situations that hamper firefighting efforts are traffic at the area and the lack or absence of water hydrants, Manatad said.
Manatad advised the public to support the BFP’s Oplan Ligtas na Pamayanan program and practice safety measures at home, and for local government units to regulate and manage structures in areas hit by fire. (HBL / MVG)