BOMB threats disrupted the classes of four public schools in Cebu City on Wednesday morning, March 4, 2020.
However, the threats were later proven as hoax after the police’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal-Canine (EOD-K9) Group 7 found no explosives planted in Cebu City National Science High School, Mambaling Elementary School, Abellana National School and Hipodromo Elementary School. The classes resumed after the rooms were cleared by the EOD-K9 Group 7.
The Cebu City Police Office and the Department of Education have launched an investigation on the incident to identify the person behind the threats.
The schools’ principals received the threats through text messages; they were advised by the sender to save the children and avoid panicking.
Vivian Tagupa, principal of Mambaling Elementary School, said she received the message around 8 a.m.
“What we did was to tell the disaster team and the police to investigate. I also informed our supervisor,” she said. “I gave my teachers instructions to transfer the students to the gym.”
Faking a drill
In order not to cause panic, Tagupa said the students were told to evacuate the school for a fire drill.
“If the students had been told that there was a bomb threat, they would have panicked. I secretly told only the teachers about it,” Tagupa said.
The principal said she felt fear after receiving the message from the unknown sender, but she chose to remain calm and apply the lessons she had learned from fire and earthquake drills. (JJL & BBT / RSR)