BACOLOD

Guv: Panaad Festival may be canceled

Panaad Festival (File photo)

GOVERNOR Eugenio Jose Lacson revealed Monday, March 9, that he will be meeting with the mayors and consult them of the possible cancelation of Panaad sa Negros Festival.

Panaad sa Negros Festival which is considered as the mother of all festivals is slated on April 20 to 26 this year.

The possible cancellation of Panaad is due to the local spread of coronavirus disease or Covid-19 and the recommendation of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III to declare a state of public health emergency after the Department of Health (DOH) confirmed the local transmission of Covid-19 which was already approved by President Rodrigo Duterte over the weekend.

Senator Christopher “Bong” Go said, “Pursuant to the recommendation of the DOH and my suggestion as chair of the Senate committee on health, President Rodrigo Duterte has agreed to issue a declaration of a State of Public Health Emergency due to the confirmation of a local transmission of COVID-19 in our country.”

Lacson said he will meet with the mayors this week on the matter.

“Panaad is successful because of the cooperation of the local government units,” Lacson said.

Lacson added that they are expecting guidelines for national state of public health emergency so that they will be guided of the moves they are going to take.

He said he leaves on the discretion of the mayors about the possibilities of the cancellation of festivals in their respective localities relative to the local spread of Covid-19.

Lacson also alerted the barangay officials to closely monitor their respective areas especially people who just arrived from other countries like China, Hongkong, Korea, Macau, Taiwan and even Italy who have been reported to have cases of Covid-19. They should be quarantined.

Lacson also advises the public to follow protocol set by the DOH that includes bringing of alcohol and hand sanitizers aside from wearing mask for health protection.

During the launching of the Panaad Festival last month, Lacson has already said the province will continue preparing for Panaad 2020 and that they will not allow the condition which might not exist in April dampen its spirit.

“However we will not sacrifice the health of our constituents. We will be willing to postpone or cancel the event if the need arises. The health and wellbeing of Negrenses is my utmost concern and priority,” he said.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph