THE Provincial Government has suspended the conduct of public events in Iloilo for 45 days as precautionary measure against the spread of coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. issued Executive Order 028-B, "suspending the holding of public events involving a large number of attendees for a period of 45 days from issuance thereof."
The order was issued March 10, 2020.
Defensor said there is a need to step up the preventive measure due to a recent and rapid increase of Covid-19 cases in the country and confirmed local transmission.
As of Wednesday afternoon, March 11, the Philippines recorded a total of 33 Covid-19 cases.
"As Covid-19 is a threat to national security, and likewise to that of the Province of Iloilo, there is a need to impose additional disease control measures to prevent the transmission of the disease," he said.
Following the governor's order, Passi City Mayor Stephen Palmares postponed all activities pertaining to Pintados de Pasi Festival scheduled this March.
The commemoration of the 75th Liberation of Panay, Guimaras, and Romblon was likewise cancelled.
The Department of Health has previously issued an advisory strongly urging the public to avoid attending, participating in, and organizing events that draw huge number of attendees. It also recommended the cancellation of planned big events and mass gatherings until further notice.
Meanwhile, President Rodrigo Duterte declared the entire country under a "state of public health emergency" amid the rise of Covid-19 cases. (PR)