THE Iloilo Provincial Government is extending P1 million financial assistance to local government units (LGUs) to support them in the fight against the coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. said this is to capacitate the 42 towns and one component city in providing relief and transportation assistance to those affected by the enhanced community quarantine.
He recognized that the LGUs are draining their resources as they implement the quarantine measures.
“Our mayors are the frontliners, that is why we are capacitating them. They need capacity to provide transportation to frontline workers to and from the city and also to strengthen their relief operations,” Defensor said.
The municipality of Guimbal, which has one confirmed positive case of Covid-19, will receive P1.5 million.
The financial assistance is subject to the guidelines pursuant to Executive Order 81 issued by the governor on March 24, 2020.
The fund shall be transferred directly to the recipient LGUs and shall be used for the following:
* Purchase of personal protective equipment (PPEs) such as alcohol and sanitizers, head cover, disinfectant, gloves, apron, medical mask, and eye protection (goggles or face shield), among others
* Purchase of thermal scanners, medicines, medical supplies
* Food package for frontliners, health workers and those conducting checkpoints and monitoring persons under quarantine
* Purchase of relief goods for persons under monitoring (PUMs), persons under investigation (PUIs) and those affected by the quarantine
* Fuel and lubricant expenses
* Tarpaulins, signages and purchase of supplies for information, education campaign on the preventive measures of Covid-19 and other related activities
The LGUs shall submit a liquidation with complete documentary requirements.
To recall, Defensor placed Iloilo Province under an enhanced community quarantine, which imposed restrictions on the travel of persons in the province until April 14. (PR)