THE first 23 samples from patients under investigation (PUIs) in Eastern Visayas have turned out negative for confirmatory test for the deadly coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
“The 23 PUIs are now cleared and for discharged from respective health facilities,” said Dr. Minerva Molon, regional director of the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday, March 28.
Molon said the samples were tested at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) in Cebu City last March 24.
The samples were from Leyte (10), Tacloban City (5), Southern Leyte (3), Northern Samar (2), Ormoc (1), Eastern Samar (1), and Biliran (1).
According to the director, the second batch of samples already arrived at the VSMMC on Saturday through the help of the Philippine Coast Guard (PSG).
The Regional Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) has accredited and authorized the VSMMC as sub-national laboratory for Covid-19 cases in the Visayas regions.
“All Covid-19 samples will now be sent to this institution to decongest RITM and easier access for the region to have its specimen examined,” Molon said in a statement.
As of 3 p.m., March 28, Eastern Visayas has 379 PUIs, with 23 admitted and 356 under home isolation for mild PUIs.
The region has one confirmed case of positive Covid-19 case from Catarman, Northern Samar.
In Manila, the DOH reported 272 new Covid-19 cases, the biggest single-day increase so far.
Total Covid-19 cases in the country is now at 1,075, with 35 recoveries while death toll rises to 68, as of 4:00 p.m., March 28. (SunStar Philippines)