Philippines grounds Lionair's aircraft after deadly fire

MANILA. Firemen and rescuers talk beside the remains of a Lionair West Wind 24 aircraft after it caught fire during take-off at Manila's International Airport in Philippines on Sunday, March 29, 2020. (AP)

PHILIPPINE aviation officials on Monday, March 30, grounded all aircraft belonging to a company that owns a plane that caught fire while taking off from Manila's airport, killing all eight people on board.

All of Lionair Inc.’s aircraft will remain grounded during the investigation of the burning of its Westwind 24 plane late Sunday, March 29, they said.

The plane had been used earlier to transport medical supplies for the coronavirus outbreak.

Lionair, a Philippine-based charter company, is not related to Lion Air, an Indonesian low-cost airline.

The twin-engine aircraft was on a medical evacuation mission when it caught fire. Two passengers from the US and Canada and six Filipino flight crew and medical personnel died when the Tokyo-bound plane burst into flames on the main runway, airport general manager Ed Monreal said.

The fire prompted the closure of the airport's main runway and caused one international flight to be diverted.

The aircraft’s cockpit voice recorder has been recovered by investigators, officials said.

Lionair leases executive jets, helicopters and turbo-propeller planes for domestic and foreign travel, including medical emergency flights.

Lawyer Lester Ople, a spokesman for the company, said four planes and seven helicopters would be grounded and that Lionair would fully cooperate with the investigation.

Ople said the evacuation was not related to the coronavirus.

The Department of Health said Monday that Lionair has helped transport medical supplies, including ones used to fight the coronavirus outbreak, from Manila to central and southern provinces. The pilot and crew of the plane that caught fire at the airport had transported medical supplies to four provinces before they perished, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said.

The Manila airport had only minimal staff due to air travel restrictions that are part of a month-long lockdown imposed by the government in the northern Philippine region of Luzon to fight the coronavirus outbreak, officials said. (AP)


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!