THE decrease of new coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases in Baguio City for the past five days indicating a flat curve does not mean the fight against the disease has been over and that people can now afford to be complacent.
City Health Officer Dr. Rowena Galpo cautioned the city may have not seen a new positive case in the last five days (the last being on March 28) but people must not let their guards down but should continue observing Covid-19 control measures to sustain it in the remaining 12 days of the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) and beyond.
Mayor Benjamin Magalong said the city had to conduct follow through tracing of contacts to ensure that no one is being missed.
“There were gaps before that we are now addressing so we will not be surprised if more cases will turn up,” the mayor said.
City Epidemiologist Dr. Donnabel Panes however was optimistic the contamination had been contained and contacts rounded up at the moment.
Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center Medical Director Ricardo Runez Jr. said Baguio has no clustering of cases as yet.
Magalong said he saw an opportunity “to flatten the curve” when he observed that of the city’s cases were “imported” or originated from other place prompting him to impose a lockdown and work out the enhancement of contract tracing and early detection. (PR)