DAVAO

Poor families in Davao Region to get P6,000 emergency aid

THE Department of Social and Welfare Development (DSWD) Davao will start giving P6,000 emergency assistance under the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) fund to families who belong to the poor and informal sector in Davao Region this week.

In a radio interview Monday, April 6, with DSWD regional director Grace Subong at 87.5 FM Davao City Disaster Radio, she said they are just finalizing the list of beneficiaries of the government assistance. DSWD-Davao is eyeing to provide assistance to 953,521 families.

On Monday, Subong said they met with concerned agencies on how to properly implement the payout without commotions while observing social distancing. There is six area coordinating teams who were deployed by the field office beginning last week to conduct orientation on the provision of social amelioration measures by the department.

Subong said that based on their record, out of the 953,521, there are 267,974 families who are members of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps). For those who are not part of the 4Ps, there are 685,547.

Based on the estimate of Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), Davao City has 298,043 families who belong to the poor and informal sector, Davao de Oro (71,238), Davao del Norte (115,881), Davao del Sur (97,095), Davao Occidental (38,946), and Davao Oriental (64,344).

Subong also clarified that not all families will receive the emergency cash subsidy from the government unless they are qualified. Under Republic Act (RA) No. 11469 or the “Bayanihan to Heal as One” Act, 18 million low-income households nationwide, including 4Ps household beneficiaries, are expected to receive emergency cash assistance to cushion the impact of the public health emergency due to the Covid-19.

She is calling for the assistance coming from the respective social welfare and development offices of different local government units and barangay officials to ensure the peaceful payout to their constituents. DSWD-Davao had also recalled their personnel who are on work from home arrangements to help in the distribution.

Subong added their office coordinated with different barangays on the list provided that those who are on the list were all assessed.

The assistance will be given in cash. She added that the beneficiaries will receive twice for April and May. (JCR)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph