CEBU

Cebuana doctor, 69, recovers from coronavirus disease

VICTORY OVER COVID-19. Dr. Estrella Huang, 69, is discharged from the Cebu Doctors’ University Hospital in Cebu City after recovering from the coronavirus disease 2019 on Monday, April 6, 2020. Lined up to congratulate Huang on her recovery are the hospital’s personnel for whom the development has been very personal since Huang has practiced medicine at the hospital for more than 30 years. (Photo from Dr. Potenciano Larrazabal III)

THE Department of Health (DOH) reported over 400 additional confirmed infections and 11 more deaths in the country due to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) on Monday, April 6, 2020.

But as more confirmed Covid-19 cases and deaths were reported, the number of recovered patients also increased. As of Monday, nine more people recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of patients who have survived the deadly disease to 73.

One of those who survived the disease included Cebuano doctor Estrella Huang.

Huang, 69, was found positive of the new coronavirus last month. She had been admitted at the Cebu Doctors’ University Hospital (CDUH) in Cebu City for three weeks before she recovered from the ailment.

To celebrate her recovery and subsequent discharge from the hospital on Monday, the CDUH personnel treated her exit at the hospital with fanfare.

As she was exiting from the hospital, Huang was greeted by the CDUH personnel with banners of encouragement and balloons, celebrating her recovery.

Dr. Potenciano “Yong” Larrazabal III, president and chairman of the board of Cebu Doctors Group of Hospitals, said when Huang was found positive for the new coronavirus, they started to worry for her life.

“A week and a half ago, her condition was going downhill, getting worse daily and all our staff were worried,” he said, in a post on his personal Facebook page.

But when she made a full recovery, Larrazabal said it immediately had an effect on him and his personnel.

Larrazabal said in a phone interview with SunStar Cebu that Huang’s recovery was a morale booster to all CDUH healthcare workers who are on the frontlines against the deadly respiratory disease.

Huang, an internal medicine specialist, was one of Larrazabal’s instructors at the Cebu Doctors’ University-College of Medicine.

Larrazabal believed that despite her age, Huang had the “will to fight” the deadly disease.

“She lose a lot of weight, but you can still see that she was very happy,” he said.

He added that it was not easy for them. Aside from keeping themselves in high spirits, they also needed to convince Huang to think positive as well.

Talisay City

Meanwhile, the Talisay City Government wants to implement strict quarantine guidelines following the death of their first Covid-19 case.

Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas Jr. said following the confirmed case’s death, they have started assessing the conditions of the Covid-19 case’s household.

So far, members of the recent fatality’s household are still asymptomatic.

Gullas said he has ordered police to strictly prevent members of the household from exiting their house to protect their neighbors from being infected.

Aside from the household, their neighbors were also asked to stay at home for their safety, Gullas added.

No new cases

The DOH 7 has recorded no new cases of Covid-19 and two additional negative laboratory results as of Monday, April 6, 2020.

DOH 7 together with the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center Sub-National Laboratory (VSMMC SNL) released 54 test results that were all negative.

There was also an additional two negative laboratory results from the previous confirmed cases, thus bringing the number of recovered cases to 13. The fatalities still remian at eight as there were no new deaths Monday.

As of 5 p.m. of April 6, 2020, there were 22 Covid-19 cases in Cebu City—the highest number of positive cases in Central Visayas with seven recoveries and five deaths. Lapu-Lapu City has three cases with one recovery and Mandaue City has two cases with one recovery.

In the provinces, there were four positive cases in Negros Oriental with two recoveries and two deaths. Cebu Province has three cases with one death and one recovery, and Bohol has one case who already recovered.

DOH 7 Director Jaime Bernadas said in his official statement that everyone should continue to stay in their homes and he hoped that the trend of no new cases of Covid-19 would continue. (JCT with SunStar Philippines)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph