LA CARLOTA City Mayor Rex Jalando-on assured Monday, April 6, that the city remains free from the coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
Jalando-on made the assurance after the Department of Health (DOH) posted on its website that a resident of La Carlota City has tested positive for the virus.
The mayor confirmed that the individual under investigation was an overseas Filipino worker (OFW), and a resident of La Carlota City. However, that individual was not in the city and is actually confined at a hospital in Metro Manila.
Based on information given to him by the DOH, the La Carlota-resident got admitted to the hospital after falling ill. The individual tested positive for the virus, although latest reports suggest that the second test performed on the patient had already tested negative.
Jalando-on said the OFW has not yet returned to the city, and is still in Metro Manila.
The mayor also confirmed that one of the city’s residents had died from bilateral pneumonia on Sunday night, although he said the patient was neither listed as a patient under investigation nor as a person under monitoring.
The said resident did not have any travel history to Covid-19 affected areas, nor did he come into contact with individuals who have tested positive.
However, as precautionary measure, the individual was immediately buried while the individual’s next of kin were placed under isolation.
Jalando-on made an appeal to the city’s residents to avoid spreading false information about the virus on social media as it would only cause unnecessary fear to the locals.