MANILA—Retired police officer allegedly involved in the November 23 Maguindanao massacre was recaptured Wednesday in Davao City, police said.

Retired superintendent Piang Adam, former Maguindanao police provincial director, was arrested around 5:30 a.m., Chief Superintendent Josefino Cataluña, Police Regional Office 12 director, said in a television interview.

Police said Adam allegedly supplied the Ampatuans, the major suspects of the massacre, with ammunitions and high powered firearms. Adam escaped custody last year.

Philippine National Police Deputy Director General Jesus A. Versoza said Adam earlier denied the missing firearms, which was later recovered during the investigation last year following the massacre.

Versoza said there has been no evidence yet showing Adam’s direct link to the November mass killing but charges of illegal possession of firearms will be filed against him.

Meanwhile, families of the slain journalists and other victims, and media practitioners held a march rally on Tuesday in Mendiola, Manila to commemorate the fourth month of the massacre. They continue to cry for justice.

Deputy presidential spokesman Gary Olivar said Wednesday that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo also aims to find justice over the deaths of more than 50 victims, including at least 30 journalists before her term ends in June. (Sunnex)