ZAMBOANGA

Navy seizes motorboats, explosives in anti-illegal fishing drive

PHILIPPINE Navy troops seized 27 improvised explosives and bomb-making components as well as P15,000 worth of fish caught through dynamite explosion off the province of Tawi-Tawi, a Navy official said Saturday, May 2.

Rear Admiral Erick Kagaoan, Naval Forces Western Mindanao (NFWM) command chief, said the improvised explosives and bomb-making components were seized when the troops aboard BRP-Emilio Jacinto (PS35) intercepted three motorboats engaged in illegal fishing last week some 250 yards northwest of Sikalong-Kalong Island, Pearl Bank, Tawi-Tawi.

Kagaoan identified the three motorboats as F/B Lady Sara, F/B Miss Mina 2018 and F/B Julma manned by six fishermen.

He said the six arrested fishermen, whose names were not released, are all residents of Sitio Baabag, Hasa-Hasa (Taja Island), Darul Akram village, Pearl Bank, Tawi-Tawi.

The fishermen and motorboats were turned over to the village officials for proper disposition and imposition of fines and penalties.

“The apprehension of the illegal fishermen bespeaks well of the Philippine Navy’s never-ending commitment and dedication to protect the maritime environment and its resources from any destructive and illegal fishing activities in support to,” Kagaoan said. (SunStar Zamboanga)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph