AFTER this Covid-19 quarantine period, probably we can consider the beginning of a new day, a new life similar to January 1 every year. It is good to make resolutions for the new start, the new life. The resolution is the cutting edge especially when the decision to act in a way the new you and me did not act before.
The biggest problem facing the world is the break-up of the family causing the dissolution of morals among the young. The family breaks up when the father and mother split. How do we avoid that? How do we keep a marriage together from this day forward, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sickness and in health until death do us part? There are five resolutions.
* Let not the sun go down in your anger. It is not easy to make up with words especially when we are emotionally upset. The husband should make a great resolution that for the rest of his life, he will always kiss his wife goodnight. And the resolution of the wife must be she will never turn away.
* When husband and wife quarrel, as soon as the man can talk, he should say, "I'm sorry." The man sometimes protests, "But it is all her fault." When a man says "I'm sorry," he's not withdrawing the truth of anything that he has said. He only means "I'm sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry that we are quarreling. I'm sorry that you are crying." And this is true. After he says "I'm sorry," the wife can say, if she believes this "It was all my fault!"
* One bank account. They need not have one physical bank account. They could have varied placements. But the husband should not have any money that the wife does not know about and vice versa. They should own everything together. If you cannot trust the one you love with money, you should never have married. Marriage must be a total investment of all that you have and all that you are because money is the most divisive force in the world.
* Never alone with any other partner. When the man marries, he should make a great resolution that he will never go out alone with any woman except his wife and vice versa.
* Pray together. The best prayer is the mass. The family that prays together stays together.
Making these five resolutions and keeping them involves self-sacrifice. But it is worth it! The most beautiful thing that we have is love. We must make an effort to preserve love.