FIFTY-NINE new cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) were reported in Cebu on Friday, May 22, 2020.
The bulk of the new cases are from Cebu City, which logged 40 new cases, nine of which are detainees of the Cebu City Jail in Barangay Kalunasan. The remaining 31 cases are spread throughout the various barangays, mostly under the city’s South District.
The 31 cases are from Barangays Punta Princesa (four), Camputhaw (three), Calamba (one), Sawang Calero (one), Pasil (two), Luz (four), San Nicolas Proper (one), Duljo (two), Mambaling (two), Labangon (three), Sambag 1 (one), Suba (one), Guadalupe (two), Sambag 2 (two), Bulacao (one) and Bacayan (one).
Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella has ordered the City Health Department, Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and other concerned personnel to transfer the new positive cases to the Barangay Isolation Centers in their respective areas.
In total, the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Cebu City has reached 1,854 with 116 recoveries and 19 dead.
In Lapu-Lapu City, 11 new Covid-19 cases were reported on Friday.
Mayor Junard Chan said the 11 cases are from Barangays Sta. Maria Pusok (five), Sacred Heart Village, Gun-ob (one), Iba, Basak (one), Locatha, Looc (one), Ibo (one), Babag (one) and Punta Engaño (one).
The patient from Punta Engaño, however, had already passed away, according to Chan.
The new cases bring the total number of Covid-19 cases in Lapu-Lapu City to 77.
Lapu-Lapu has been under general community quarantine since May 16.
In Mandaue City, a 38-year-old pregnant woman from Barangay Ibabao-Estancia became the newest Covid-19 case in the city.
Lawyer John Eddu Ibañez, the executive secretary of Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes, said the patient has no known contact and was advised to undergo a swab test as she will give birth soon.
As of Friday, Mandaue City has 219 Covid-19 cases with seven recoveries and three deaths.
In Cebu Province, Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia announced that seven persons living in a compound in an undisclosed town were found positive of Covid-19 on Friday.
Garcia made the announcement during her regular live press conference at the Capitol.
The governor refused to provide additional details about the patients.
As of Friday, Cebu Province had 83 Covid-18 cases. (PAC, JGS, KFD, ANV)