AFTER two days of reporting less than 200 confirmed coronavirus cases in a 24-hour period, the Department of Health (DOH) on Sunday, May 24, 2020, listed 258 cases that brought the total number of infections in the country to 14,035.
Five additional deaths were also reported, raising the mortality count to 868, while 72 patients have recovered, bringing the total number of survivors to 3,249.
Of the 14,035 cases, the DOH said 9,918 are active.
Of the 258 new cases, 195 are from the National Capital Region or Metro Manila, 12 are repatriates and 51 are from other regions.
In Cebu City, the City Health Department (CHD) recorded 10 new coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
These came from Barangays T. Padilla (one), Hipodromo (one), Luz (two), Kalunasan (one), Labangon (one), Suba (one), Mabolo (one), the Cebu City Jail (one) and one case with unverified address.
The CHD updated the total number of cases in Cebu City, extracting 13 patients after verification.
These patients were either recorded repeatedly or some numbers registered were repeat test.
With the new cases, Cebu City has 1,869 Covid-19 positive patients with 23 deaths.
Mandaue City reported one confirmed Covid-19 case on Sunday, May 24.
John Eddu Ibañez, Mayor Jonas Cortes’ executive secretary, said the new patient is a 34-year-old female from Barangay Looc, who is currently admitted at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City.
She is the 223rd Covid-19 case in Mandaue.
Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office personnel will decontaminate patient’s residence.
Out of the 223 cases, seven have recovered from the disease, while three died.
In Lapu-Lapu City, six new Covid-19 cases were reported in Barangays Pusok (two), Punta Engaño (one), Looc (one), Marigondon (one) and Buaya (one).
Two previously recorded Covid-19 patients from Punta Engaño and Buaya have died, according to the Facebook post of Mayor Junard Chan.
The city has 84 confirmed cases with 38 recoveries and five deaths. (MVI of SunStar Philipines, JJL, KFD)