THE Cebu City Hall announced 164 new recoveries from the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) infections on Wednesday, May 27, 2020.
This brought the total number of persons who recovered from Covid-19 to 394, or 19.57 percent of the 2,013 cases.
The new recoveries are from Barangays Suba (114), Mambaling (15), Bacayan (33) and Sambag 2 (two). This was the highest number of recoveries reported in one day. However, it did not mean all the Covid-19 positive residents recovered on the same day.
City Attorney Rey Gealon, spokesperson of the City Hall, said the houses of the recovered patients were already disinfected.
Of the 2,013 cases, Gealon reported 21 new cases on Wednesday.
The 21 new cases came from Barangays Tejero (two), Lahug (one), Inayawan (one), Duljo (three), Sawang Calero (one), Kinasang-an (one), San Nicolas Proper (one), Suba (seven), Camputhaw (one), Mambaling (one), Pardo (one) and Carreta (one).
Gealon said there were also three new fatalities in Barangays Tinago, Guadalupe and Lahug.
The city now has 26 deaths, or 1.29 percent of the total cases as of Wednesday, May 27.
In Mandaue City, three new Covid-19 cases were reported on Wednesday. The three new cases are a 66-year-old woman and a 46-year-old man from two sitios in Barangay Maguikay, and a 54-year-old man from Barangay Paknaan.
Lawyer John Eddu Ibañez, executive secretary of Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes, said two of the three new cases were found positive after the city-wide mass testing using rapid test kits. The Covid-19 persons were also subjected to confirmatory real-time polymerase chain reaction testing.
With the new cases, Mandaue City's Covid-19 cases has reached 237, with 12 recoveries and four deaths.
Also on the same day, the Province of Cebu has logged one new positive case of Covid-19.
Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia said the patient is a 30-year-old woman from the northern town of Consolacion. She is currently in the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center.
There are aslo three other patients who tested positive for Covid-19 in their repeat tests.
This brings the running total Covid-19 cases in the province to 127.
At the national level, the Department of Health (DOH) recorded 380 cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total count past 15,000.
The death toll also continued to be in the double-digit territory and exceeded 900.
As of 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 27, the total number of confirmed cases of infection increased to 15,049, including 904 mortalities and 3,506 recoveries.
The DOH listed 94 more patients who have recovered in the last 24 hours.
The 380 new cases exceeded Tuesday’s count of 350. For the month of May so far, this is the highest number of cases over a period of 24 hours.
Of the total, 10,639 are active cases.
DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a Laging Handa briefing Wednesday that the agency is looking into the spike in confirmed cases.
Initially, she said this may be attributed to the new cases among repatriated overseas Filipino workers.
Globally, the novel coronavirus or Sars-CoV-2 has infected more than 5.4 million people, including 343,514 who had died as of May 26. (JJL, KFD, RTF, MVI & JTM)