NEGROS Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson revealed some scenario that will take place in the province starting June 1.
He said it would become very difficult to quarantine individuals arriving in Negros Occidental once the seaports and airports are re-opened on June 1, when the province further downgrades to a modified general community quarantine.
Lacson admitted that even now, the provincial government is having a hard time placing newly-arrived Negrense overseas Filipino workers on quarantine, and he is hoping that the National Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) would allow their request to further suspend air and sea travel in Negros Occidental.
However, Lacson said if the seaports and airports are re-opened, the provincial government will try to get all the records of individuals entering Negros Occidental in order to use them on contact tracing, and implementing “targeted testing” for individual who will show symptoms of the coronavirus disease, or Covid-19.
Lacson is also hoping that the provincial government’s newly-established bio laboratory in Silay City will come into operation prior to June 1.
He added it would help them expedite the testing of returning OFWs and stranded individuals, and allow them to free up space in their quarantine facilities, since those who test negative for the virus will be allowed to return home.
The governor had earlier forwarded a proposal introducing protocols such as requiring those entering the province to undergo quarantine in order to be swabbed.
However, following pronouncements made by President Rodrigo Duterte last Monday saying travel should not be hampered, Lacson admitted he would be “powerless” if the IATF rejects his proposal. (TDE)