NEGROS Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson denied reports that the provincial government neglected the 30 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), who arrived last May 26, and spent their time at the Bacolod-Silay Airport.
According to Lacson, the 30 OFWs are the same individuals who have refused to be brought to the Provincial Healing Center in E.B. Magalona for processing.
Lacson said during the arrival of the repatriated OFWs, three bus trips were arranged. One of the buses went straight to the Go Hotels in Bacolod City, while the second and third buses went to EB Magalona as there are no more rooms available at the said hotel.
The governor said they immediately acted on the matter and the 30 OFWs were later transferred to another available hotel.
Lacson said they are hoping to free up space in the quarantine centers in EB Magalona and Cadiz City as he has received information that another hotel in Bacolod City will resume operations this week in order to accommodate the returning OFWs and stranded individuals.
Earlier on Wednesday, Covid-19 Incident Command Center spokesperson Charina Magallanes-Tan said the individuals in question insisted they be brought to a hotel.
“Only Go Hotel was open last night,” the spokesperson explained. She went on to note, Go Hotel was “full” last night with “women, children, and pregnant women prioritized at the hotel.”
The 30 that refused to be brought to the Provincial Healing Center in EB Magalona were brought back to Bacolod-Silay Airport where they remained overnight.
She added, “Local officials are scrambling to look for accommodations for the repatriated Negrenses on the heels of the order of President Rodrigo Duterte to government agencies.”
The president earlier gave a one-week deadline for the return of around 24,000 repatriated citizens.