EVEN though Mandaue City will be placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) status on Monday, June 1, 2020, the Cebu North Bus Terminal (CNBT) in Barangay Subangdaku will still be closed.
Northbound passengers will continue to use the temporary depot set up at the Sta. Lucia Square in the neighboring town of Consolacion.
Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes said they are only following the government directive that bars buses from the north from entering the city.
That is why operations at the CNBT in Barangay Subangdaku are still suspended, said Zosimo Jumao-as, CNBT manager, in a separate interview.
Jumao-as said the facility has been closed since the city was placed on enhanced community quarantine status on March 30.
He said 42 of the CNBT’s 46 employees have been displaced under the “no work, no pay” policy since then. The other four are security guards assigned at the terminal.
Jumao-as clarified that they are not the ones operating the terminal in Consolacion, as they are only authorized to operate the facility in Mandaue City.
Bus operators who used to load and unload passengers in Barangay Subangdaku moved to Consolacion when the GCQ was implemented in Cebu Province on May 20.
“Di naman sila makasulod sa terminal dinhi sa Mandaue. Kutob raman sila sa Consolacion kay aduna poy gibutang nga bus nga muserbisyo sa Mandaue (They cannot enter the terminal in Mandaue since they cannot cross from Consolacion and several buses have also been deployed to serve Mandaue routes),” Jumao-as said. (KFD)