AS BAGUIO City transitions into the modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), two new coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases were reported.
On Monday morning, June 1, Mayor Benjamin Magalong asked the city to be vigilant and take precaution as two coronavirus-positive residents were confirmed.
Ailene Doria, 28, of City Camp Central, revealed her identity in response to Magalong's call to help in contact tracing and prevent virus transmission to save lives.
Doria is a returning Baguio worker who arrived in the city last May 29 to resume work as a store manager from San Fernando, La Union, where she stayed in a company-appointed boarding house for three days from May 26 to wait for the confirmation of her travel date to Baguio.
Before going to Baguio, Doria stayed in their hometown, Binmaley, Pangasinan, since March 16 after her work was suspended during the enhanced community quarantine.
Doria said she complied with the Returning Baguio Residents and Workers process and underwent triage at the St. Vincent gym upon arrival.
At the triage, she underwent diagnostic X-ray, which showed suspicious pneumonia, prompting doctors to let her undergo a swab or the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test.
From St. Vincent, Doria went directly to a boarding house for self-quarantine while waiting for test results.
Contacts include a lone travel companion and the driver of the private car, which ferried them to the city, as well as acquaintances at the La Union boarding house.
In Binmaley, few contacts were noted as Doria's house is in a secluded area.
Doria agreed at to go public for family, relatives and all contacts to be aware, and do a self quarantine as they seek medical attention.
The other patient was identified as Bernard Agbuya, 25, from Apugan in Poliwes. He is asymptomatic and had no history of travel or exposure to the disease.
Agbuya has been detained at the Baguio City Jail since May 28 as he was apprehended by Baguio City Police Station 8 after a fight with neighbors while in a drinking spree with his brother.
The fight was pacified by their father, but instead resulted in a fist-fight with both his sons, sending the family patriarch to the hospital.
A police report by Police Captain Roger Kurt Pacificar stated that while he was brought to the precinct, Agbuya hurled verbal abuses and punches to responding policemen and barangay officials.
Agbuya tested positive on May 31 and was charged with direct assault with resistance and disobedience to persons in authority and violations of the liquor ban.
On May 29, Poliwes was placed on lockdown by the Magalong for violations of the safety standards.
Meanwhile, Magalong advised Baguio residents to be more vigilant and cautious with the conduct of mass gatherings, community assemblies, non-essential work gatherings, religious and other gatherings are allowed during MGCQ.
"Covid-19 is still a threat to the health of the community. For this reason, mass gatherings, community assemblies, non-essential work gatherings, and religious gatherings will remain prohibited in the city while we are still studying effective health and safety measures to protect our citizens. We will continue to hold dialogues and consultations with affected sectors in order to find the best and most effective measures and protocols to mitigate the risk of Covid-19 transmission as we introduce this new normal into daily life in Baguio City," Magalong said.
Last week, a letter to Our Lady of Lourdes parish church along Kisad road was sent, citing lapses in compliance with the church in its conduct of mass. (With a report from Baguio City Public Information Office)