THE director of Police Regional Office (PRO)-Eastern Visayas has expressed elation over the surrender of four members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in the region recently.
“Their surrender is very timely nowadays to somehow lighten our burden in these trying times brought by this coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic,” said PRO-Eastern Visayas Director Brigadier General Bernabe Balba.
The four NPA members, who hailed from Samar provinces, voluntarily surrendered to 1st Leyte Provincial Mobile Force Company (1st LPMFC) on May 28.
PRO-Eastern Visayas identified the rebels through their aliases as Leo, 48; Edil, 60; Joel, 43; and Dondon, 32.
Lieutenant Colonel Ma. Bella Rentuaya, police regional spokesperson, said the four red fighters were previously holding various positions under Jorge Bolito and Efren Martirez commands.
The rebels also turned over various firearms and ammunition.
Meanwhile, Balba said the extensive intelligence and counter propaganda efforts of the 1st LPMFC helped locate and convince the said returnees.
“They will be endorsed to avail the government’s assistance program for returnees through the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-Clip),” said the police official while lauding the “efficient and effective police community operations” of the 1st LPMFC headed by Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Señal together with Provincial Intelligence Branch and Leyte Police Provincial Office.
Eastern Visayas, particularly the Samar Island, remained a hotbed of insurgency with the continued presence of NPA, which has been listed as a terrorist organization by the United States, European Union, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. (SunStar Philippines)