DAVAO City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Monday, July 6, called on business establishments not to ban the entry of customers on the basis of their residential addresses, especially those coming from areas categorized as very high risk or high risk.
Duterte-Carpio, during a radio interview via 87.5 FM Davao City Disaster Radio, responded after receiving complaints from radio listeners who are experiencing discrimination by some establishments that prohibit people residing from "very high risk" and "high risk areas" based on the Covid-19 Risk Assessment Map.
"Kanang pag-exclude nato sa mga tao nga nagpuyo sa mga very high-risk ug high-risk nga barangays will not solve the problem na basin ma contaminate or masudlan mo og confirmed Covid-19 nga positive cases kay ang inyohang screening, gidepende ninyo sa address. Dapat ang screening, mag-depende sa inyohang health protocol in place dinha sa sulod (Excluding people living in very high risk and high-risk barangays will not solve the problem of the risk of catching Covid-19. You have to rely on your health screening and the health safety protocols you have put in place)," the mayor said.
The mayor reminded store owners anew that the Risk Assessment is only a guide for residents where they should take extra precaution or avoid going to. It should not be the basis of banning people from entering shops or offices.
Duterte-Carpio said it is wrong for establishments to ban entry on the basis of customers' residential addresses since there are a lot of confirmed Covid-19 cases in other areas that are not classified as high-risk areas.
She reiterated the importance of imposing health measures upon entry such as temperature check, symptom screening, establishing a handwashing facility, providing alcohol and footbath, and practicing social distancing while inside the establishment.
"That way, protektado mo -- ang inyohang establishment and, of course, inyohang employees (That way, you are protected, your establishment and, of course, your employees)," Duterte-Carpio said.
In the recent risk assessment report by Davao City Covid-19 Task Force released on Sunday, July 5, 2020, Barangays Bucana, Buhangin Proper, Maa, Matina Crossing are now High-Risk Areas, joining barangay 5-A on the list.
These barangays were previously in the very high risk area in the June 27 to July 3 risk classifications.
It left barangays 23-C, Agdao Proper, and Leon Garcia in the very high risk category.
The City Government reminded the public on the implications of these risk assessment classifications.
"Ayaw og adto sa mga lugar nga ginatawag nga very high risk ug high risk gawas na lang kung ang byahe alang sa trabaho, negosyo, ug emergency (Do not go to very high risk and high risk areas except for work reporting, doing business, or during emergency cases)," it said in a statement.
"Mamahimong moadto sa mga lugar nga Moderate Risk Barangay apan gikinahanglan ang hugot nga pag-amping (Going to moderate risk barangays are allowed but strict precautionary measures must be taken)," it added.
It also reiterated that people residing or working in restricted barangays are allowed to go to other barangays as long as the health and safety guidelines set by the Department of Health must be followed such as symptom screening.