THE Department of Health (DOH)-Eastern Visayas reported 10 fresh confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (Covid-19) and 10 new recoveries, bringing the total number of cases in the region to 600, with 486 recoveries or 81 percent recovery rate, as of Tuesday, July 7, 2020.
The Eastern Visayas Regional Covid-19 Testing Center (EVRCTC) released a total of 366 laboratory results, of which 358 are negative, including 14 results of DOH-Eastern Visayas employees, and eight positive for coronavirus.
Included in the eight positive are seven new cases and one re-swab result of Patient EV-270 from Matag-ob, Leyte.
The seven new cases are tagged as Patients EV-591 to EV-597, according to the regional health department.
These cases are from Barugo, Leyte (2); Bato, Leyte (1); Maasin City, Southern Leyte (2); Cabucgayan, Biliran (1); and Gandara, Samar (1).
Divine Word Hospital Virology Laboratory (DWHVL) also released a total of 99 laboratory results, of which 94 are negative and five are positive for the virus.
The five positive include three new cases and two re-swab results of Patients EV-468 from Capoocan, Leyte and EV-498 from Hilongos, Leyte.
The three new Covid-19 cases, tagged as Patients EV-598 to EV-600, are all from Carigara, Leyte.
Meanwhile, Maasin City Mayor Nacional Mercado identified the two new cases in the city as 30-year-old male from Barangay Pasay, and a 38-year-old male from Barangay Mantahan.
Both patients belong to the second batch of locally stranded individuals (LSIs) from Cebu City who arrived in Leyte Island via Cokaliong Shipping Lines.
“The said LSIs actually tested non-reactive after conducting a Rapid Diagnostic Test and so far, both of them are asymptomatic,” said Mercado.
On June 25, the LSIs underwent an RT-PCR (swab) test and their samples were sent to EVRCTC the following day.
In a statement, Mercado urged the public not to panic, saying the patients were placed in the quarantine facility since their arrival and will be moved out to the isolation center in the city.
The LSIs will also be closely monitored by the local health personnel, so there is no chance for them to be in contact with the general public, according to Mercado.
“We have also instructed our contact tracing team to submit immediately those who have primary exposure to the patients, as well as their secondary contacts, in order to closely monitor the following individuals in our isolation center. The said primary and secondary contacts will then undergo a RT-PCR test,” Mercado said.
“In light of this, we humbly ask the public to remain vigilant at all times and to religiously practice the infection-prevention and control measures. With our continuous commitment, we can get through this together,” he added. (SunStar Philippines)