CEBU

What Duque said about Cebu City’s ECQ

MANILA. DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III. (Presidential Communications photo)

HEALTH Secretary Francisco Duque III presented to President Rodrigo Duterte early Wednesday, July 8, the reasons why Cebu City was placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) but he said he expects a “downward trend in the number of cases” in his next report.

He said the Cebu City leadership is implementing the containment strategy of the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID). “Kaya we will be reporting in the next meeting with you, Mr. President, showing a downward trend in the number of cases,” he said after enumerating the reasons why the city was placed under ECQ.

Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu, appointed overseer of the Covid-19 situation in Cebu, said Tuesday the measures being undertaken in Cebu City make him optimistic that the city’s quarantine status will be downgraded to general community quarantine (GCQ) by July 16.

Below is a portion of the transcript of the press conference of President Duterte early Wednesday showing Duque’s report on Cebu City. Transcript was taken from the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) website.

DOH SECRETARY FRANCISCO DUQUE III: Magandang gabi po, Mr. President at akin pong mga kasamahan sa IATF and Cabinet at kay Senator Bong Go at magandang gabi po sa atin pong mga kababayan.

Ngayon pong gabi, ako po ay inatasan ng atin pong mahal na Pangulo na banggitin po ang mga sumusunod na mga lugar na sumasailim sa ECQ, sa GCQ at doon po sa tinatawag natin na MGCQ.

Iyon pong ECQ ibig pong sabihin nito, ‘yung enhanced community quarantine, ito po ‘yung pinakamahigpit na klase ng ating mga restrictions. Ito po ‘yung ipinagbabawal ang paggalaw at ang pagbiyahe ng atin pong mga mamamayan lalong-lalo na po ang mga may edad at may mga kasama pong mga tinatawag nating mga sakit katulad ng diabetes, hypertension, asthma at mga iba pa po.

Iisa lang po ang lugar na sumasailalim sa ECQ, ito po ang Cebu City. Ang susunod naman po ang ating general community quarantine. Yes, sir?

PRESIDENT DUTERTE: Can you give us the — can you give us the reason why Cebu City has been placed in that kind of status?

SEC. DUQUE: Nilagay po natin ang Cebu City under ECQ dahil po sa malaking pagtaas po ng bagong kaso ng Covid-19 at ang kanila pong... Noong nagpasya ang IATF at inaprubahan po ninyo, Mr. President, ang case doubling time ng Cebu — ibig pong sabihin nung case doubling time ay napakamaiksi po ang panahon, mabilis magdoble ang bilang ng mga kaso — it was below seven.

Iyon po that puts them at high risk, isa po ‘yun. Pangalawa pong dahilan ay ‘yung tinatawag po nating critical care utilization rate, ‘yun pong mga hospital nila, ‘yun pong kanilang ward beds, ‘yung kanila pong isolation beds, ‘yung kanila pong ICU beds, at saka ‘yon pong mechanical ventilators po nila mataas po ang kanilang utilization.

So ito po ay signal na talagang malawak po ang naapektuhan na mga komunidad with the Covid-19 cases. So nagpasya po tayo na gawin pong ECQ para nang sa ganon mapigilan magkaroon — part of the containment strategy, Mr. President, para mabawasan ang reported new cases.

At ngayon naman po, iyon na po ang nangyayari, Mr. President. Mayroon po tayong report, but this is with Secretary Roy Cimatu. We will get the official report soon, Mr. President.

So dalawa lang po ‘yon: iyong mata — ang kanila pong case doubling time ay masyadong maiksi, less than seven days that puts them at high risk, and their critical care utilization rate mataas po ang kanilang — ang kanilang paggamit. Ibig sabihin na-overwhelm na po ‘yung kanilang health systems capacity.

So dalawa lang po kung bakit sila inilagay under ECQ dahil nga po ‘yung kaso nila tumalon, Mr. President, masyadong malaki po ang itinaas.

PRESIDENT DUTERTE: Sir, may I just comment if you’d allow me. Earlier in the days during the inception of the Covid-19, I had an occasion to observe different places in the Philippines. Sad to say na it is the province where I come from, and that is why I warned the residents there that they should not take it against me.

We had all the warnings in place and the police were very strict but following the national direction. But it could only arrest so many so much. Ang nahalata ko kasi sir sa Cebu, nonchalant sila during the critical days sa pagputok nito.

People were partying, gambling outside of their houses in Talisay, that’s in Cebu. Basta para sa kanila balewala. And sabi ko nga kayong mga Cebuano huwag kayong magalit sa akin. Do not... I’m a Cebuano and I have every reason to be concerned about the welfare of the province of my father.

Ang sinasabi ko sa inyo wina-warningan (warning) ko na kayo noon that ‘yung Cebu guys are — is taking the warnings of the national government nonchalant.

Murag way nahitabo sa Binisaya pa. ‘Di man pud mo — murag way mutuo unya nakit-an nako from all indications gikan sa footage pakuhaan nako og ang camera sa gobyerno, aba wala gyud, murag walay — walay warning, wala tanan. And so mao na ni karon.

(TRANSLATION: It’s as if nothing happened. It seemed like nobody heeded the warnings and from all indications, from the footage taken from the camera of the government, it was really as if there had been no warnings, nothing at all. And so this is the situation now.)

Ang akong kuwan sa inyo is gahi mo’g ulo (You are very stubborn.). Dili to sigurong (But not the) — except those who are really infected because they had to go out, they have to work or if perchance talagang tinamaan.

Ang ayaw ko doon, sir, sa Cebuano ‘yung mga taong nag-iinuman, nagsusugal pati nag-party.

SEC. DUQUE: Panghuli lang sasabihin ko po kung bakit ang Cebu City ay pumasok sa ECQ, nag-escalate to ECQ, iyong partikular sa isolation beds po nila 90.6 percent ang kanilang utilization and that puts them at very high risk. At ang kanilang ICU beds ganon din po, 84.6 percent ang utilization. High risk din po. Kaya ‘yan po ang dalawang dahilan kung bakit ibinalik po natin sila sa ECQ.

Ganunpaman, ang nag — nag-inspect po ang IATF at ang National Task Force with our chief implementer guiding and assisting the chief overseer of the Cebu City pandemic Covid-19 management, si Sec. Roy po, at doon po ay sinabihan po namin ang liderato at ang mga iba pong mga ahensiya na talagang paigtingin po nila ‘yung containment strategies po nila, Mr. President.

So ‘yung containment strategies ang nakapaloob po dito ay ang mga sumusunod: Unang-una, ang pinaigting na isolation, detection, isolation of cases, tapos ang contact tracing, testing, and treatment.

So ito po ay mariin na sinusunod po ng leadership ng Cebu City. Kaya we will be reporting in the next meeting with you, Mr. President, showing a downward trend in the number of cases.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph