REYMART Gaballo is in for the toughest fight of his young career as he takes on former world champion Juan Carlos Payano in August.
According to Sanman Promotions chief executive officer JC Manangquil, the fight will soon be ironed out and that they’re looking at an Aug. 1, 2020 schedule in Connecticut.
“We are finalizing an Aug. 1 date. It was supposed to be on July 18 but it got moved. I will confirm it soon,” Manangquil told SunStar Cebu.
The fight is also for the interim World Boxing Association (WBA) bantamweight belt, according to Manangquil.
The 23-year-old Gaballo is currently ranked No. 1 in the WBA, while Payano is rated No. 2. The current WBA bantamweight champion is Guillermo Rigondeux, while Japanese superstar Naoya Inoue is the WBA bantamweight super champion.
Gaballo once held that interim WBA bantamweight belt after a shocking unanimous decision win over previously unbeaten Stephon Young in 2018. He last saw action on Dec. 14, 2020, wherein he stopped Thai Chaiwat Buatkrathok in six rounds in Parañaque City.
Gaballo is currently training under the watchful eye of Moro Fernandez in Miami, Florida. He started training there in early 2020 along with fellow Sanman boxers “Magic” Mike Plania, Mark Bernaldez, John Vincent Moralde and James Bacon.
The 36-year-old Payano is eager to bounce back after losing to Mexican star Luis Nery via a first round knockout on July 20, 2019 in Las Vegas.
Payano once held both the WBA and International Boxing Organization bantamweight belts. He wins over Rau’shee Warren, Anselmo Moreno and Plania. He also fought but lost to Naoya Inoue.
“Payano is a great fighter. That’s why he became a unified world champion before. He will be Gaballo’s toughest fight for sure but it’s Reymart’s time now. He has trained hard all these years. The world will see that, when they fight,” said Manangquil.
Gaballo is 23-0 with 20 knockouts, while Payano is 21-3 with nine knockouts. (EKA)