CEBU

Death of tanod, 50, prompts lockdown of entire barangay

Image from Google Maps

READ UPDATED STORY: Barangay Poblacion chief denies lockdown report



BARANGAY Poblacion in Talisay City, Cebu and its barangay hall have been placed on lockdown following the death of a 50-year-old tanod with suspected symptoms of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

The village watchman — a frontliner in the city’s efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19 — passed away hours after he was rushed to the Talisay City District Hospital on Friday, July 10, 2020.

Poblacion Barangay Captain Edward Alesna told Superbalita Cebu in a phone interview that before the tanod was brought to the hospital, he had been experiencing diarrhea for four days.

Alesna said the lockdown will not be lifted until he gets the tanod’s swab result.

Alesna, the tanod’s six relatives, six barangay staff members, 20 tanods and 20 barangay health workers are now in the isolation center since they had direct contact with the victim.

After he arrived at the hospital, the tanod had difficulty breathing, then he died.

Diarrhea and shortness of breath are among the symptoms of Covid-19.

Alesna said the tanod, a Barangay Health Emergency Response Team member, was involved in monitoring Covid patients who were on home quarantine.

Before he died, the tanod had taken the rapid diagnostic test, which yielded a negative result. However, a rapid diagnostic test only measures a person’s antibodies and is unable to detect Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

Alesna immediately ordered a lockdown on the barangay hall to disinfect the whole building and its surroundings. The whole barangay was also placed on lockdown for disinfection.

Meanwhile, a 70-year-old councilor of Barangay Dumlog, Talisay City died at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) in Cebu City on Sunday, July 12.

The village official had been bedridden for a month due to a lung illness before he was brought to the Talisay City District Hospital. After a week of confinement, his condition worsened, prompting his family to transfer him to the VSMMC.

Dumlog Barangay Captain Nelson Abellana said he has yet to receive the councilor’s swab result.

He also instructed the councilor’s three family members not to leave their house until then. (BBT, KAL)

VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph