DAVAO

City not keen on appealing for ECQ or GCQ reversion

SunStar File

DESPITE the increasing Covid-19 cases in Davao City, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said she will not make an appeal to the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) for the city to revert back to either general community quarantine (GCQ) or enhanced community quarantine (ECQ)

"Wala ta'y ing-ana nga plano nga mag-appeal sa ECQ or GCQ (We do not intend to make an appeal for us to be reverted back to ECQ or GCQ),” Duterte-Carpio said during a radio interview on 87.5 FM Davao City Disaster Radio on July 10 after she was asked if the city will make an appeal to IATF-EID for a stricter form of community quarantine.

Duterte-Carpio, previously, reiterated that the city will not interfere with the IATF's classification. Although she said the city government has been submitting pertinent documents regarding the city's Covid-19 response, including the recent Covid-19 cases recorded. Thus, she trusted the IATF's decision on the matter.

"We will, instead, try to catch up or cope sa atong situation nga naka (in our situation while we are under) MGCQ 'ta, and increase our [detected confirmed] cases," she said.

The mayor said the city is currently intensifying its Covid-19 response, including the case finding within communities, and health screening to arriving passengers.

The city recently announced that it will be conducting random and voluntary reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) to arriving passengers since the commercial flight going into the city resumed on June 8.

Also, the city still implements localized lockdowns within the community with the most number of Covid-19 cases.

Duterte-Carpio already said the city cannot afford another lockdown, as it will have a huge impact on the city’s economy.

Currently, the city is under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), which will lapse after July 15.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced on Thursday, July 9, that the IATF will convene days before July 15 to reclassify the quarantine status of the different cities and municipalities.

The mayor already anticipated a rising number of Covid-19 cases in the city after being placed under GCQ and MGCQ, wherein more establishments are allowed to operate, mass transportation is resumed, and some restrictions were eased.

But whatever the classification, Duterte-Carpio reiterated the city's call to comply with the "new normal" measures including staying at home and only go out for necessary errands such as food and medicine purposes, the mandatory wearing of face masks, strict two meter-physical distancing, and frequent washing of hands using soap and water, and bringing pocket alcohol.

She said the city, under MGCQ, should be a practice towards the "new normal" considering that there is still no vaccine nor medicine for the dreadful virus.

As of July 11, the Department of Health-Davao Region recorded a total 741 confirmed Covid-19 positive cases in the region. Davao City remains to have the highest number of cases with 548, wherein 365 already recovered, while 30 already died. (RGL)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph