IT SEEMS like corona is getting worse still for the Philippines instead of getting better. In my family alone, I have two members of the family who tested positive for Covid-19. There are still other people who are experiencing a slowdown in the business, are experiencing job loss or less work schedule because of companies downsizing, other parent taking work off since children are starting to study at home and would need a parent to be with the children in the house while they go online schooling.
It is a tough time for everyone in any country that have several cases of corona. In the Philippines, businessmen who are into restaurants, for example, have closed some of their branches. In Canada, there are also some small businesses who closed the last months.
If you are one of the good ones that have considerable savings, this time could be a breather for more time to actually do the things you have been wanting to do for a time now. That also includes me. As I wait for more activity in our family business, I am finding that I have gotten so much time to do these things I have been wanting to do:
1. Organize your fridge or pantry once and for all. I have been giving away things in our kitchen and pantry that I feel will be more useful to others than in our household. I have also streamlined our plates, mugs to those that I know I will really use and have given away those that I know we will never use.
2. Switch up one space in your entire house. My husband thinks I have ADHD as I have been tweaking our home and non-stop decorating it. If you’re lucky enough to have multiple living spaces or bedrooms in your home, try switching them up. Make your guest bedroom the office or your main bedroom the guest bedroom. Move your dining room to your living area. It might not be perfect, but it may just end up being the refreshing change of scenery you need in your life right now. You can also rearrange furniture, and change up the art works in your home. You will be surprised how different the areas of the home will look like after these changes -- without having to spend anything.
3. Finally, clean out your phone. I have been deleting duplicate photos on my phone and deleting notes I have written and saved. I have yet to upload photos to a hard drive. For now, I am using iPhone cloud but I should get a hard drive soon.
4. Make a vision board for it. Since you are decluttering and cleaning the home, you will find loads of magazines that need to be recycled. Before I did that, I took out pages and did my second life vision board. It is easy to do and I suggest that you do one as well.
5. Shop your own closet. I have been itching to buy nice shoes and bags but I know this is the wrong time to do it. Times are tough, savings are finite, the world is suffering and it is just plain wrong to buy more stuff. I shopped my own closet instead, donated the rest, and also did a clothing exchange with my neighbors.
6. Have a hackathon. Essentially, a “hackathon” is a day that’s exclusively dedicated to brainstorming big ideas and solutions to problems. I have read this somewhere and I think we should all have a hackathon for your home or our life and our finances? Take a day to do nothing but brainstorm what could you do -- how to improve your status in life. Be honest with yourself and see what areas in your life need improvement.
7. Wash the things you never wash. Take all the things you don’t wash regularly and make sure they’re all squeaky clean especially your beddings like comforter that has probably not been taken to the cleaners in months now.
8. Call or write someone you haven’t talked to in a while. I am trying to keep in touch with people who are close to me but who I have lost touch with. I send them quick short messages on Messenger or text to let them know I am thinking of them. If you haven’t talked to them in a bit, make a point to call them. You probably have the time, and even if talking on the phone isn’t really your thing, odds are the person will be happy to hear that you’re thinking of them so drop them that note!
In the meantime, I am urging everyone to keep on praying, hang in there, seek for self improvement, be kind to others, Give whatever you can. Things will get better.
Follow me on Twitter @missheiding, Instagram @missheiding, and www.sunstar.com.ph.