No, we’re not talking about the Russian intelligence, but the street food find that’s popular in South Korea—the Korean garlic bread. If you’ve oohed and aahed at the sight (and taste) of the blooming onion, well this blooming bread will draw the same, if not a more intense reaction from first-timers. Because seriously, if there’s anything better than buttery garlic bread, it’s buttery garlic bread stuffed with cream cheese. In case you want to give it a go at home, here are fast facts about the newest food trend in the city:
1. Bread-Lounge. It typically uses brioche buns, which you can bake yourself or just buy from a store. The bun is cut into six or eight sections, close to the bottom but not all the way through such that you are left with pull-apart wedges. These need to stay intact though to hold the filling.
2. Farine. The filling is a mixture of cream cheese, sugar and heavy cream. It is piped into the bun, in between each cut-up section.
3. Farine. The bun is then bathed in garlic butter sauce, which has minced garlic, parsley, condensed or whole milk, eggs, parmesan and honey or sugar. Yes, this garlic bread is sweet, savory, garlicky, herby and moist and a bit custardy on the inside.
4. Bread-&-Co. It is baked in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, after which you can sprinkle more parmesan onto the bun or some salt. You may also pipe more of the sweetened cream cheese filling on top.
5. Ovenly-Good. This is best served warm so on the off chance that you have leftover garlic bread, just reheat it at 180 degrees Celsius for five minutes.
For instant gratification, here are some home-based shops where you can buy Korean cream cheese garlic bread:
• Ovenly Good
• Bread & Co.
• Bread Lounge Cebu
September 11, 2020
- A A +
SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.
Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!