SECTIONS
Davao
Sunday, August 01, 2021
DAVAO

Ward beds for Covid-19 patients in Davao in ‘danger zone’

File photo

THE ward beds for Covid-19 patients in Davao Region have already reached the "danger zone" level, according to data from the Department of Health-Davao Region (DOH-Davao).

As of September 27, a total of 71.79 percent of the 78 Covid-19 ward beds had been occupied.

In a previous report, DOH-Davao said a utilization rate that is beyond the 71-percent level is already labeled “danger zone.”

A level is considered under the “warning zone" when the occupancy rate is between 31 to 70 percent and under the "safe zone" when it is from one to 30 percent.

According to DOH-Davao Assistant Director Lenny Joy Rivera, the overall critical care utilization rate of all designated Covid-19 beds in the region is still within the “warning zone."

Based on the occupancy rate data, 47.73 percent of the 44 total intensive care unit (ICU) beds; 36.75 percent of the 419 isolation beds; 45.19 percent of the 6,240 non-Covid-19 beds; and 31 percent of the 8,119 temporary treatment and monitoring facility (TTMF) beds are occupied.

Only the mechanical ventilators had stayed within the "safe zone" level with only 19.61 percent of the 51 ventilator units utilized.

Rivera said those occupying these facilities are suspected, probable and confirmed Covid-19 cases.

"Trinatrack namin ito para makita natin kung nagsusurge na ba tayo ng cases and we are trying to prepare the different hospitals, and health units natin, and different facilities natin just in case magkaroon ng surge," the DOH official said during the One Davao on Covid-19 virtual presser on Friday, October 2.

(We are tracking this to determine if there is a surge of cases to prepare the different hospitals, health units and facilities for a possible surge in cases.)

Rivera said DOH-Davao already formed a Covid-19 surge capacity plan and are currently revisiting it.

"We're trying to operate a one-hospital command. Tinitingnan po natin, involved po lahat ng public and private hospitals (all public and private hospitals are involved, wherein we’re trying to implement), and we're trying to implement the 30 to 50 percent Covid-bed, especially to the designated Covid-19 hospitals, na mabigay nila 'yung (wherein they will be able to give their) 30 percent of the hospital bed intended for Covid-19 lang," Rivera said

Some of the hospital wards would be converted into Covid-19 ward and ICU based on the proposed surge plan, Rivera said.

Southern Philippines Medical Center in Davao City and Davao Regional Medical Center in Tagum City, Davao del Norte are the only designated Covid-19 referral hospitals in the region

Rivera said they already coordinated with the different private hospitals to be on standby mode, in case the bed capacities in the two public-designated hospitals are fully occupied.

DOH-Davao Director Annabelle Yumang said in a previous presser that DOH Undersecretary and Covid-19 treatment czar Dr. Leopoldo Vega ordered for the increase of bed capacities in the region’s Covid-19 bed capacities.

Yumang said the Davao Medical School Foundation, Davao Doctors Hospital and the Metro Davao Medical and Research Center are Davao City’s reserved hospital.

In a recent SunStar Davao report, DOH-Davao recorded more Covid-19 cases and new deaths linked to the disease in September.

In the official tally of DOH-Davao, Covid-19 cases in September were at 974, the most number of new cases recorded in a month since the start of the pandemic in March.

The agency also recorded 27 new Covid-19-related deaths in September. This is also the most number of deaths recorded in a month. Covid-19-related deaths near the 100-mark as it ends September with 94 total deaths.

Total cases in the region also breached the 3,000-mark on September 29, after recording 67 new Covid-19 cases, which brought the total cases to 3,028.

Active cases on September 26 reached the 500-mark, the highest recorded case in a day.

In terms of active cases, Davao Region ended the month with 549. Of the number, 345 are asymptomatic, 177 are mild cases and 27 are severe cases.

Rivera said the accumulation of active cases were due to changes in the DOH protocol, wherein a patient, even discharged from the hospital or the quarantine facility, will only be considered recovered when they finished the 14-day home quarantine.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph