CEBU

BSP: ‘Hot money’ yields P439M net inflows in October

HOT money posted net inflows in October, reversing seven consecutive months of outflows, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Thursday.

BSP-registered foreign portfolio investments yielded $439 million for the month, as gross inflows reached $1.4 billion, outpacing outflows of $913 million.

Around 78.8 percent of the total investments were invested in companies listed in the stock exchange, while the remaining 21.2 percent went to investments in government securities.

Hot money refers to funds that are controlled by investors who actively seek short-term returns. These investors scan the market for short-term, high interest rate investment opportunities.

The UK, US, Singapore, Luxembourg and Hong Kong were the top five investor countries for the month, with combined share totaling 80.9 percent, the BSP said.

Net outflows for the January to October period were at $3.9 billion, larger than the $1.2 billion posted in 2019.

The BSP attributed this to “the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic to the global economy and financial system, coupled with international and domestic developments such as geopolitical tensions, certain corporate governance issues and extended quarantine measures in select regions in the country.”

The Philippine economy plunged 11.5 percent in the third quarter, marking the first time in 35 years that the country’s gross domestic product contracted for three straight quarters.

(CSL with PR)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Create your own user feedback survey
sunstar.com.ph