THE Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (NOCPPO) has placed its entire force on alert after both the government and the New People's Army (NPA) insurgents canceled plans for a holiday ceasefire.
Police Lt. Abegael Donasco, NOCPPO Public Information Officer, said they are prepared for possible attacks from the insurgent group.
Donasco said they were especially on guard on December 26, as the rebels will likely commit atrocities during the NPA's anniversary.
The police personnel have been instructed not to be complacent, and monitor their respective jurisdictions during the holidays.
Donasco also made an appeal to the NPA insurgents in Negros to abandon the armed struggle in order to prevent unnecessary blood shed.
Earlier, NOCPPO director, Police Colonel Romy Palgue ordered all police forces in the province to be vigilant as the NPA will celebrate its founding anniversary this month.
According to Palgue, all police stations in the province should be prepared, especially since President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier stated that he is no longer interested in pursuing peace talks with communist insurgents.
Palgue said the NPA has a history of conducting violent and nonviolent atrocities to the local population, every time they celebrate their anniversary.