PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) Chief Debold Sinas said on Monday, January 11, 2021, that the policemen accused of killing four army intelligence officers in Jolo, Sulu have been released.
Sinas said they were freed from police custody after their dismissal from the service last week.
He said it would be up to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to put the dismissed policemen behind bars again.
“Sila ay na-release na kasi walang arrest warrant. We are now coordinating with DOJ. Hanggang ngayon wala pang update. Hindi na kasi sila mga pulis. Ayaw naman namin na makasuhan kami for arbitrary detention,” Sinas said in a press conference in Camp Crame.
Those who were released were Abdelzhimar H. Padjiri, Hanie U. Baddiri, Iskandar I. Susulan, Ernisar P. Sappal, Sulki M. Andaki and Moh Nur E. Pasani.
They were all members of the Jolo Municipal Police Station Alert Team.
They were all found guilty of four counts of grave misconduct for the murder and planting of evidence against Major Marvin Indammog, Captain Irwin Managuelod, Sergeant Jaime Velasco and Corporal Abdal Asula.
The four soldiers were killed after the policemen shot them at a checkpoint in Jolo on June 29, 2020. (Third Anne Peralta-Malonzo / SunStar Philippines)